Visit our Public Awareness site for pipeline safety information.
Elba Liquefaction Project & EEC Modification Project
Elba Liquefaction Company, L.L.C. (ELC) and Southern LNG Company, L.L.C. (SLNG) are constructing a two-phased project called the Elba Liquefaction Project, which will add liquefaction and export capability to SLNG’s existing liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal located at Elba Island in Chatham County, Georgia (Elba Terminal). Construction began on November 1, 2016 on the approximately $2 billion project.
ELC is a Delaware limited liability company formed by Southern Liquefaction Company, LLC, a Delaware limited liability company, and a unit of Kinder Morgan.
On June 1, 2016, the FERC granted the project authorizations under Sections 3 and 7 of the Natural Gas Act (see press releases).
Initial liquefaction units are expected to be placed in service in mid-2018, with final units coming on line by early 2019.
In 2012, the project received authorization from the Department of Energy to export to Free Trade Agreement (FTA) countries. An application to export to non-FTA countries was approved on December 16, 2016. Under full development, the Elba Liquefaction Project is expected to have a total capacity of approximately 2.5 million tonnes per year of LNG for export, which is equivalent to approximately 350,000 Mcf per day of natural gas.
The project was first announced in January 2013 by Southern Liquefaction Company, LLC, a unit of Kinder Morgan, and Shell to add liquefaction and export capability to Southern LNG Company, L.L.C.’s existing liquefied natural gas regasification terminal at Elba Island in Chatham County, Georgia. On July 15, 2015, Kinder Morgan and Shell announced that they reached an agreement for Kinder Morgan to purchase 100 percent of Shell’s equity interest in Elba Liquefaction Company, LLC (ELC). Prior to the announcement, Kinder Morgan owned 51 percent of the ELC joint venture and Shell owned the remaining 49 percent (see press releases).
Shell continues to subscribe to 100 percent of the liquefaction capacity.
Project Technology - MMLSMoveable Modular Liquefaction System (MMLS)
- Innovative and flexible small-scale liquefaction plant, that cools natural gas to the point that it becomes a liquid-commonly known as liquefied natural gas or LNG.
- Stringent safety standards and assurance processes.
- Multiple controls throughout design, permitting, construction and on-going operations.
- MMLS combines Shell's tradition of innovation and technology advances with design flexibility that enables construction within the existing site at Elba Island plant.