KMI Transaction Information
Click here for transaction-related materials including:
- Tax Information
- Final Merger Consideration
Investor Frequently Asked Questions
The following description is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as offering tax advice; consult your tax advisor for more information. Additionally, KMI acquired KMP, KMR and EPB in a transaction that closed on 11/26/2014. The information related to KMP, KMR and EPB below is provided for informational purposes only as they are no longer publicly traded securities.
- Focused on stable fee-based assets that are core to North American energy infrastructure with market-leading positions in each segment of our business
- Leverage our asset footprint to seek attractive capital investment opportunities, both expansion and acquisition
- For more information on Kinder Morgan please refer to our investor presentations, and our SEC filings
Kinder Morgan is focused on cash flow and makes its money typically by charging fees for use of the capacity of its pipelines, terminals and other assets. These assets are managed under one publicly traded C-Corp (KMI). ; On November 26, 2014 Kinder Morgan Inc. (NYSE: KMI) finalized the acquisition of all of the outstanding units it did not already own of Kinder Morgan Energy Partners, L.P. (KMP) which was a diversified midstream energy MLP owning principally fee-based pipeline and terminal assets that transport and or store natural gas, refined products (such as gasoline, jet fuel and diesel), bulk products (such as coal, petcoke and steel), crude oil and carbon dioxide, as well as other products. Under this transaction Kinder Morgan, Inc. (KMI) also purchased all of the outstanding units it did not already own of El Paso Pipeline Partners, L.P. (EPB) which was a pure-play natural gas pipeline MLP focused on fee-based interstate natural gas transportation and liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminals
- KMI is structured as a C-Corp, and pays a regular cash dividend to its shareholders
- KMI shareholders receive an annual 1099 pertaining to their dividend income (NO K-1 or UBTI)
Kinder Morgan, Inc. filed its IPO and began trading on February 10, 2011 under ticker symbol "KMI"
Kinder Morgan Energy Partners, L.P. (no longer publicly traded) traded from February 18, 1997 until November 26, 2014 under ticker symbol "KMP" (predecessor IPO July 30, 1992 under ticker symbol "ENP")
Kinder Morgan Management, LLC (no longer publicly traded) traded from its IPO on May 14, 2001 until November 26, 2014 under ticker symbol "KMR"
El Paso Pipeline Partners, L.P. (no longer publicly traded) traded from its IPO on November 15, 2007 until November 26, 2014 under ticker symbol "EPB"
You can sign up to automatically receive e-mail alerts at the following link:
- KMP (no longer publicly traded) had two 2-for-1 unit splits in its history, one declared on 09/2/1997 and another declared on 07/19/2001
The transfer agent for Kinder Morgan is Computershare, who can be contacted at Computershare, or by phone:
- KMI (800) 847-4351
Our fiscal year follows the calendar year; the first quarter ends March 31, second quarter ends June 30, third quarter ends September 30, and fourth quarter ends December 31.
No, Kinder Morgan does not offer a DRIP; however, you can purchase your shares through computershare our transfer agent and establish a DRIP with their services.
Kinder Morgan does not offer a direct investment program and KMI must be bought through a broker or through our transfer agent Computershare.
Computershare: (800) 847-4351
Kinder Morgan Inc. does NOT generate a K-1; instead, investors would receive a 1099.
Please visit www.taxpackagesupport.com for K-1 support or please use the following (by entity):
- KMP by phone at (800) 232 1627, or on the internet at KMP K-1 support
- EPB by phone at (866) 709-8274, or on the internet at EPB K-1 support
- K-1 support is primarily a service offered to provide K-1s, correct information, answer questions such as general partnership information, website access, etc. This support should not be relied on for tax advice; please consult a tax advisor for more information
If you own KMI shares through a broker, please contact your brokerage firm for your 1099. If you own KMI shares directly, please contact Computershare to request your 1099.
- Computershare: (800) 847-4351