- KMC employees raised a record-setting $101,673 for the United Way Campaign. Over three quarters of staff participated in this initiative to raise money for social programs that assist people in need.
- In April, KMC participated in the annual Eagle Creek Salmon Release in Burnaby, B.C. and helped revitalize the fish population by releasing chum salmon fry in to the creek.
- In June, KMC hosted the annual Westridge Fish Release at our Westridge Marine Terminal in Vancouver, B.C.
- Other 2012 events KMC took part in included Arbour Day, Fraser Valley Kids Fair, Agrifair, and the Green Community Carnival.
- Other initiatives supported through our 2012 community investment programs included the Vancouver International Writers Festival, Skills Canada B.C., Children’s Arts Umbrella Association and the North Vancouver School District.
- In May, KMC was pleased to once again take part in the annual Great Salmon Send-off organized by the Stoney Creek Environmental Committee.
- KMC had the honor of participating in the 35th annual Elders Gathering in the Fraser Valley to build stronger relationships with First Nations elders in BC.
- KMC employees conserved 1,185 litres of fuel and 2,650kg of CO₂ during participation in the annual Commuter Challenge event.
- KMC provided funding to the River Watch Institute program, an environmental education program where students use rafts to conduct studies on 10km of a local river in Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta.
- President Ian Anderson and Chief Kim Baird of B.C.'s Tsawwassen First Nation participated in a leadership exchange program facilitated by the Industry Council for Aboriginal Business in partnership with the Learning Strategies Group at Simon Fraser University.
- In recognition of its environmental stewardship on the Anchor Loop project, KMC was honored with an Emerald Award in the business category at the 19th Emerald Award ceremony held in June in Calgary, Alberta.
- In September, KMC employees raised more than $30,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation in the stationary bike ride that took place in Calgary, Alberta.
- In 2010, the Kinder Morgan Foundation contributed $70,500 to Canadian charitable organizations and schools.