Plantation Pipe Line Company (PPL), headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia, (a suburb of Atlanta) was founded in 1940. Construction of the original PPL pipeline was completed in time to provide secure transportation of vital petroleum products during World War II. For nearly 70 years, we have safely and quietly transported fuels throughout the Southeastern United States. As of the fall of 2000 Plantation is being operated by (and partially owned by) Kinder Morgan Energy Partners.
Plantation started small and worked its way up. Prior to 1940, economists and engineers were studying the feasibility of a products pipeline to serve the Southeast. World conditions at the time caused the construction of the Plantation system to be expedited. The pipeline was placed into operation in January 1942, just a month after the Japanese navy attacked Pearl Harbor. With the sinkings of tankers by submarines and the railroads operating at maximum capacity with freight and troop movements, the new pipeline system was soon recognized as an exceedingly necessary and timely facility. As the Southeast changed from a predominantly rural economy to one of industry, petroleum demands increased at a tremendous rate, and this trend has continued through the years.
In 1942, the Company started transporting approximately 48,000 barrels per day for four customers. By the end of World War II, over 86,000 barrels per day were being handled through the system for nine customers. Presently, the system delivers almost 600,000 barrels per day to more than 30 delivery points.
Over the years Plantation has added to its facilities so that its customer companies would be in a position to serve their growing markets with economical pipeline transportation. A glance at the System Map indicates this growth -- the original single main line from Baton Rouge to Greensboro has been paralleled with multiple pipelines. Lateral lines have been replaced with larger pipe in some instances and additional lines laid in others. Also, additional and larger pumping units have been added. In 1964 the Company moved beyond its traditional operating area when work was completed on extensions of the pipeline system into Virginia. Beginning in 1968, another expansion program began which provided a 30/26-inch diameter mainline from Collins, Mississippi to Greensboro, North Carolina; a 12-inch diameter loop of the Pascagoula to Collins, Mississippi line; a 10-inch diameter line from Helena to Birmingham, Alabama; and an 8-inch diameter line from Bremen to Macon, Georgia.
In 1973 Plantation initiated an ongoing program of modernization automation and expansion of its system that continues to this day, providing service to the Charlotte, North Carolina airport and expanded services to Richmond, Virginia and the Atlanta, Georgia International airport. This program incorporates the latest in data acquisition, computing and process control equipment, all of which enable Plantation to transport petroleum products efficiently and economically. Our published tariff rates reflect the economy of our pipeline transportation facilities. For example, a gallon of petroleum product is transported over 1,000 miles for less than three cents.
Plantation, an integral part of the petroleum industry, demonstrates its capability to serve its customers and the public in meeting the energy needs of people on the move. If you would like more information on Plantation Pipe Line Company or Kinder Morgan Energy Partners, please contact our Media Relations Office at (713) 369-8060 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.